Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Neopets makes me want to gamble!!!

I recently started playing around on Neopets again, partly because I was looking for a good selection of games for my nephew that didn't require a big download at the same time that my 360 and gaming pc went kaflooey so I too needed games that didn't require a big download to run on my netbook, and partly because nostalgia is rooted deep in my blood and given any opportunity to relive a childhood favorite, I jump at the chance.

When I started up my new account and got all the necessities squared away, I began reliving my routine that was engraved into my mind as a child, and then I realized something after playing Brucey B Slots for an hour straight. Okay, my routine included a lot of the following attractions, The Wheel of Excitement, Dace-A-Roo, Scratch Cards, etc. And here I am back and playing the same games over and over again and realizing now what I wasn't realizing as a child, I had a gambling problem, I can't tell you how many times I squandered ten-thousand Neopoints away. Even when my poor baby Neopet was sick and thought it was a chicken (an illness I got him by playing Wheel of Excitement by the by), I was gambling away my last few points rather that working hard and saving up to buy a cure.

A curious thing as I am as tight fisted with money as they come. I've never gambled in other games that I play either. I shoved in a few coins to get the jackpot achievement in Bioshock, (which according to some friends I got incredibly fast.) Anyway before I lose my thought here, I was pondering what it is exactly in Neopets that makes me want to gamble and try to get oodles of money? And then, Eureka was shouted, it's the only goal in the Neopets world, make money! Sure you can say that you want to level up you're Neopets and do quests and things but ultimately all that leads you to is more money. It's the goal of the game, to make as much money as possible.

After realizing this, I knew there were better ways of getting money then gambling and so I searched around and discovered just how time and effort people put into making money on this game. I mean, big time. All the hours upon hours people spend buying low and selling high to get the biggest bang for their buck. I basically came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it, especially considering how bored I am with it already. Might as well do something in the real world that makes money if I'm going to put that much effort into it. I'm going back to mindlessly gambling away Neopoints on the game where the worst thing that happens is you pets contract hilarious diseases.



No comments:

Post a Comment