Thursday, August 12, 2010

Two top five countdowns, just cause.

Top 5 Video Game Weapons:


#5: Plasma Gun – Doom

Most say the BFG9000 and I am somewhat inclined to agree except that I never use the dang thing. I do however use the Plasma Gun from the second I get it to the second it runs out of ammo. It has the best range of use being a weapon that can hit at just about any distance and not just that but the fast launch of small plasmas means that I can shoot just a few quick rounds to take down the smaller guys and use a larger amount to take out the bigger guys. Plus, the lack of blast damage means it can be used right up close with the baddies screaming in you face. It is in my opinion the most flexible gun in the Doom series.


#4: Double Hidden Blade - Assassin's Creed 2

The hidden blade was fun in the first one but this is one case when less is more does not apply. Nothing made me more happy that walking casually up to four guards that were placed very rudely between me and where I wanted to be, and whipping out my trusty hidden blades taking out two of the guards in one fell swoop and then side stepping slightly to dispatch of the other two before they even drew their weapons. Epic.








#3: Stake gun - Painkiller

There isn't a weapon in Painkiller I don't like but I had to narrow it down to one and oh boy what a one. In case you aren't familiar with this weapon allow me to explain, the stake gun launches stakes (eureka!), but the awesome part about it is that the stakes are roughly the size of a tree. Also having a grenade launcher attached doesn't hurt either.





Below is a video containing the awesome weapons from Painkiller including the stake gun as number one, glad to see someone agrees with me.




#2: M6D Pistol - Halo

There are a few kinda neat weapons in the Halo series but nothing, and I mean nothing holds a candle to the Halo 1 pistol. Oh boy, oh boy, never has a pistol been this badass. It's not even made up to be a real cool weapon that everybody wants, it's just the best. It handles well, delivers an insane amount of damage and has ammo readily available. One shot kills over half of the enemies you face and it's the only weapon in the game that can be used equally as well in short to medium distance so it's incredibly versatile.


#1: Gravity gun - Half-life 2

Okay, I figure this was the most obvious one I could come up with but I'm still putting it as number one cause it's awesome and, well that's about it, it's just awesome. The iconic weapon of Half-Life, it starts out as kind of a fun toy to play around with, launching random objects at you enemies and using it to clear your path or create a new one. Then towards the end of the game, it gets superfied and becomes the most awesomely fun weapon I've ever played with....ever.








<----AWESOME









Top 5 Most Creepifying Enemies:



#5: Poison Zombie – Half-Life 2

What could be more terrifying than the dreaded poison headcrab from Half-Life 2? How about a zombie giving a piggyback to several poison headcrabs. Always seeming to catch me at the wrong time, these guys made playing through parts of the game a living nightmare. Upon replaying the game, I learned where they all are and now I run right to them hoping to take them out before I'm stuck in a poison headcrab and zombie mosh pit.








#4: Arch Vile – Doom 2

Doom fangirl coming through. I have been playing doom since I was four, and have been unafraid of most of the baddies but, oh man, that Arch Vile always rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't have the sense of security with him as I did with the bigger monsters that would only come out to play in certain situations. The Arch Vile could be thrown in anywhere and often hidden in the background where you have to hunt it down, a task made difficult due to the fact that it doesn't give away it's position when attacking. And then it wonders around bringing back dead monsters lying around, that's just low. The Arch Vile is one of the few monsters that I actually like the recreation of the sprite for Doom 3 though.




#3: Bella Sisters – Resident Evil 4

I hated Dr. Salvador with a passion. But I could deal. I mean he didn't show up that much and I could live through it okay. But then I came across one of those fun chose you own adventure moments Resident Evil 4 has. I chose the left. DON'T CHOOSE THE LEFT!!!! It was all hunky dory at first, I could shove Ashley in a box and run around killing freely. Everybody was happy! Then I heard the chainsaw. Oh no, not again, I thought, I don't want to fight him again. Well, big surprise, it wasn't him, it was them. Two of them and oh boy was I freaked. I manage to stick it out a few minutes but it didn't take long before I was about a foot shorter. Ever since then, I always go right. So, in case you are not too familiar with RE:4, this is what I chose to face over the Bella Sisters.



#2: ReDead – Zelda: Ocarina of Time

No! Not that!! Anything but that!!! I hate, hate, hate these things. I was happily playing my cute little Zelda game, enjoying the scenery, running through the grass hoping the guy with holes in his pockets and an endless supply of rupees had been by again. Then a stumble upon a quaint little cave and wandered in. No big right. Wrong! Big big. The piercing scream was the first warning, then, wait what's this, I can't move. What are those things coming at me, they just looked like little zombies, they can't be that bad can they? Oh no, he's getting closer. Wait, no he's on me now, what do I do, how do I- What is he doing! How can he be, oh god, he's still going! How? How is this in a Zelda game?!! Oh no, poor Link. I so sorry, I didn't know Link. Nooooo!!!! Anybody who has ever faced or watched someone else face these things knows exactly what I'm talking about. Terrifying.



#1: Berserker – Gears of War

EEEEPPP!!! Never has a video game baddie got my heart beating so fast. I'll lay out a scene for you real quick for you to understand how much I love/hate this baddie. I went over to a friend's house and he told me how he started playing GOW and really liked it but was having trouble getting past the Berserker. I was as familiar with the game as I am with the interior structure of a deep see angler so the Berserker meant little to me. I wasn't that interested in playing it but my friend wore me down and I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I played it through awhile and wasn't too impressed but I guess it was good enough for me to play it through till the Berserker showed up. Maybe I was just really wanting to beat the Berserker before my friend.

So, when it was finally time to face the big old girl, I was focused. Of course not so focused that I didn't get my face smashed in almost instantly by the thing. My friend laughed and said, “I told you she was tough,” (may have paraphrased with some slightly cleaner words than he used). The second time, however, I made it almost outside when my buddy, Dom, decided the best way to take out the Berserker was to hug her. People began to take notice that I had made it that far on the second try and crowded around the TV. I leaned forward, eyes fixed on the screen, and hands firmly gripping the controller evenly, my patented “you touch me, you die” pose. Third try, made it outside and keenly observed the land, there was little to place between me and the she-beast and being very frantic, I tried to kill her in the open. This resulted in me being smashed into a pancake. Sighs were heard throughout the room.

Fourth try, final try, for I knew that any more would result in the classic fit with throwing the controller across the room. Something I never want to see myself do, so I always stop when frustration starts to creep in. Everyone was still focused on me, something I was not used to when playing games, and I manage to force my way back outside with a couple of close calls. Once outside, I strategized a bit more and then found a way to put enough blocking material between me and the Berserker to hit her before she could crush me to smithereens. I hit her with the Hammer of Dawn, Everybody cheer, I smiled, the Berserker shook it off and charge me (of coarse it couldn't be that easy).

I manage to dodge but she was close and I was freaked. I ran hopelessly trying to get away and did with little trouble from her, soon finding another spot to hit her from, and this time I wasn't stopping until she was down. I hit her again and it took little more to fell her (oh that's right I just used fell for it's seldom used definition meaning to kill. Oh, that's right I just used seldom in a sentence showing off how weird I talk). Big cheers all around this time and I jumped out of my seat and screamed enough trash talk at the screen to get me kicked out of any sporting event. And then I realized I was shaking, I sat and felt my pulse, like I said, never has a video game baddie got my heart beating so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment