Sunday, July 18, 2010

Top Eight: Xbox 360 Case Mods

Okay, before we get into the list, let's do a quick Q&A. I, pretending to be you, will ask me, really being me, a few questions.

Q1: Why eight?

A1: Cause that's how many I found.

Q2: Did you use any Guidelines?

A2: Sorta, I didn't add the laptop mods because I had intended on posting only those that kept the integrity of the original case, but then I found a mod I really, really liked that looked nothing like a 360 so there went that plan. The laptop remain unlisted though, I still like them.

Q3: Is there any mods you like that aren't included in this list for some strange reason?

A3: Yes, in fact there are and you are very smart for thinking to ask me that. There are a ton of case mods out there and I liked far more than what I'm posting today but I had to call it quits at some point.

Q4: Could you provide some links to those at the end of the list?

A4: Why yes I can.

Q5: Is there a reason why you didn't go through those others you liked and pick out two more for this list so you could have a top ten like a normal person.

A5: Some I didn't feel fit my guidelines, some weren't over the top enough for me, some were too over the top for me and some were just too redundant, there are far too many Halo and Gears of War mods out there so instead of having a list riddled with them I just chose my favorite of each.

Q6: Do you do any case modding?

A6: No, I've toyed with the idea of painting my faceplate on my 360 but that's as far as I'll ever go with it I think. I don't have the skill, patience or know-how to really do a top rate case mod. Plus adding those extra layers of insulation can cause you console to overheat.

Q7: Will you be doing mods lists for other consoles as well?

A7: Yes, I've already begun looking around and picking out my favorites for many other consoles.

Q8: I'm actually out of questions, but I thought it would be neat to have as many questions as mods listed so.....um...What video game are you playing right now?

A8: You're right, that is kinda neat. I'm in the middle of Mass Effect right now and have Fallout 3 waiting on me after I'm done with that.


Okay, enough of that. Here's the list:



#8 - Joker Case Mod

Modder: Carl Butler

This is an almost there mod and makes a fine example of less is more. While having some great detail work the Joker head and the mismatching batman logo window at the top pushed it a bit too far for my tastes but there is enough good stuff here for it to have a place in the top eight.

Source

#7 - Half-Life 2 Case Mod

Modder: PinPoint

Okay, I'll be perfectly honest here, this might have not made the list had in not been for the fact that I am a huge Half-Life fangirl and will remain so until I am a wrinkled old lady. Love this mod and wish I had one. Plus orange is my favorite color.

Source











#6 - WWII Case Mod

Modder: Jwalestrom


This mod, as stated by the creator, looks “as if the beleaguered 360 just barely made it’s way out of a minefield.”It's easy to tell a lot of love went into this one and while it's not as flashy as some it still has a place in the top eight for me.

Source


#5 - Gears of War Case Mod

Modder: DFW Monkie

Being one of the biggest selling games on the 360 there was no doubt that there would be plenty of mods for GoW and while many are nice, this one is amazing. With an extraordinary amount of sculpting and detail work, it had no trouble making it into the top eight.

Source



# 4 - Transformers All Spark Case M......New Case Entirely

Modder: givintats

The one that broke the rules. I feel this is the "mod" that just doesn't get enough love. I've looked at many top (insert number here) lists for Xbox 360 case mods and this one wasn't included in a majority of them. Found through Google images, this one had to be in my top eight.

Source



#3 - Alligator Skin Case Mod

Modder: DFW Monkie

The second of Monkie's works. This is the one that inspired me to do this list in the first place and I still can't get over how awesome it is. I love it, love it, love it. Enough said.


Source




#2 - Halo Case Mod

Modder: Richard Taylor

There is just too many Halo mods to deal with, and I was so close to making this list without any of them until I found this one. Perhaps a bit over the top, I still gotta say that this is pretty incredible and I also have to say that I have been tempted to shoot my 360 in a similar fashion before. Stupid red ring.

Source

#1 - Steampunk Case Mod

Modder: Dopelgunder

This mod is just so over the top that I couldn't help but include it in the list and then it grew on me so much that it climbed all the way up to number 1. I love the detail and while steampunk hasn't always been my first choice, I have fallen in love with the look.

Source



Honorable mentions: those that didn't make the cut for whatever random reason I came up with at the time.

Tissue Mod

Car Mod
Blood Splattered Mod
Gears of War Mod
RockStar Mod
Halo Mod
Another Halo Mod
Hellboy Mod
Laptop Mod
Sonic Mod

Or pretty much any one from this collection.

Another fun one to look at is the Xbox 720 designed by Tai Chiem.

No comments:

Post a Comment